Saturday, June 7, 2008

Mississippi in Midtown!

I had the best day! I've been looking forward to the Mississippi Picnic in Central Park alllll week! We had such a blast and saw tons of our friends from home!

This was what we saw as we walked into the park. Tents and tents and music!
There was live blues music which was a lot of fun to listen to as we sweated in the grass. (it was about 100 degrees outside today--- very appropriate for the Mississippi Picnic, don't you think?)We visited the MS State alumni table and got free t-shirts. They were really excited to hear that we had just graduated and wanted to know all about our internships and how we were liking the city.We slightly abandoned MS State because Ole Miss was the only table with fans. We accepted the fans and showed them off for the rest of the afternoon as we waved them rapidly in front of our faces. They were such a relief from the ravaging sun. Portico was there sponsoring some MS artists and selling art.McAlisters was there with sweet tea! Hooray! It was so tasty and refreshing and magnificent and wonderful and cold.They flew in 3,000 lbs of catfish from Yazoo City along with hush puppies, french fries, and cole slaw!!! We got there right as they brought out the last tray of catfish. We were super lucky to get some. I cannot believe they ran out of catfish after 2 hours!
This is my room mate Ashley. We had a really good day together. It was the first time we hung out without our common denominator: Lexie. It was really weird to sit in the park and eat catfish and feel so at home and then to look up and see the city behind us. It was pretty fantastic.
As we were leaving they were starting a watermelon-seed spitting contest. So much fun in the park! I wish we could do something like that every day!

Actually, we just may be able to. There is a BBQ festival in Madison Square Park right by my office tomorrow afternoon. It is the same festival and participants that go to the big BBQ fest in Memphis every summer!

After we left the park, we went to SOHO to go shopping and walk around. We went in a store and the guy working walked up to Ashley and me and kind of whispered, "Do you guys watch Top Model?" We looked at each other and whispered back "yea." He said "Well, you just missed Anya. She was just here." Then he looked around and backed slowly away from us like he had just imparted some huge secret. When we got back onto the street we were waiting for Parin to pay inside and I saw Chloe, the winner of Project Runway a couple of seasons ago. Lexie saw someone from the Real World the other night as well... so weird how many reality stars we've seen. I wanna see Johnny Depp! (**pouty face**)

5 comments:

  1. man, the only reality star i've seen is Richard Schwartz! i'm jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous of your almost celebrity sightings. When Rachel was in NOLA last year she walked into Urban Outfitters and they told her she just missed John Stamos! I would have loved to have seen that.

    I bet this summer they are going to have a lot of fun festivals like that! I've been reading all about the MS festival but its really cool that you actually got to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The candelholder was TALL and WIDE. I would guess it was about 2.5 feet tall and the arms probably outstretched 1.5 to 2 feet. It was really neat though and I wanted it so bad. If you want me to go grab it for you I will definitely go by there and see if it is still there! It's a coral color now but I was thinking a good coat of paint would do it good.

    The Goodwill is where Irby's used to be. It's right in the curve where Shapley's is located. It's in a big gray building that hasn't had anything in it for a while. I was so suprised to see it but I am glad it is there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's no problem at all! Do you want a silver stud or a rhinestone stud?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The MS festival looked great! But I'm so confused about it. Was it for MSians in NY to unite? Or was it to raise awareness about the great state?

    ReplyDelete