Sunday, June 8, 2008

Big Apple BBQ Block Party

I love that there are so many fun things to do around here all the time! (and I especially love that the most recent fun things remind me a lot of home! It really does keep our spirits up.)

Today we got up and went to the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in Madison Square Park right by my office. There were barbecue vendors from all over the country cooking up some good old fashioned pulled pork and ribs right there in the street. It smelled amazing and tasted even better. It was really inexpensive for food and most of the booths were giving away things for free. Rachel Ray and Snapple were the largest sponsors for the event. I didn't see her but I have a feeling she must have been around there somewhere.

I had an awesome barbecue sandwich and cole slaw. I also got a small cup of Bourbon Banana Nilla Wafer Pudding! mmmmm.
After the festival we went with Molly Gee to Brooklyn to a few thrift shops. It was wretchedly hot all day and I think my bright pink shoulders are attesting to the fact that the sun's beams were more than unforgiving.
Our apartment is extremely hot most of the time as there is no central air here. We have a fan in our bedroom which has been sufficient up until yesterday when we could hardly get relief from the heat except when we were standing directly in front of the window unit. Anyway... I woke up to see this in the living room:
Apparently she got hot and fed up in the night and drug a blanket and pillow into the other room and slept right under the window unit. We're seriously considering another window unit for our bedroom. If we can find one for not too much money and divide it by three, it really would be considered a good investment-- to us anyway. I hear July is hotter. Yikes!

1 comment:

  1. Thrifting in Brooklyn? How fun!

    That BBQ looks amazing by the way. I saw a program on that festival on Food Network. Last year they had a BBQ cookoff challenge for the channel. Yummmm

    ReplyDelete