Friday, June 13, 2008

Kebab!

Friday Funday Again!!!


This might be my new favorite (food) place! They have the best sandwiches... This one is a grilled cheese with mozzarella and fontina cheeses and a tomato-olive spread. There are many many more I must try, though, like this one marinated white anchovies, soft-cooked egg, roasted onion, salsa verde & frisée on country bread. I saw this one get made today and it looked delish! And this one sounds good too: pole-caught tuna, fennel, black olives, aioli & lemon on baguette. This was the first day I didn't make my lunch. I did it very specifically so that I could eat at wichcraft. Only six bucks!
After lunch in the park, I shopped a bit for a Father's Day (don't forget to send your dad a card!) gift and found a post office to ship it home. By the time that was all done, it was only mid-afternoon and I was really excited about going to the Central Park Zoo... yes, by myself... But by the time I got there they had already stopped selling tickets for the day. (The weekend and weekday hours are much different and they stop selling tickets a certain amount of time before the zoo closes to allow people to get their money's worth.) Maybe tomorrow...
So, since I didn't make it to the zoo, I just hung out in Central Park for a bit. It was a beautiful day! The first photo does not do that bridge justice. It was breathtaking!

Earlier this week, I discovered going.com and we all purchased movie tickets to the premier of an independent film called Captured about a photographer/videographer who shot all of the major events in the Lower East Side of Manhattan in the 70's, 80's, 90's, and even still. He was right there for police riots, homelessness in Tent City, the initial onslaught of AIDS, the beginning of hardcore music and even 9-11. The film was really interesting and the screening was on a roof top in the Lower East Side so all of the people who were in the film were there like the 80's police chief who was there and who was interviewed for the film.
When we first walked up to the building, we realized it was a high school because there was a basketball game going on. A guy at the door said, "oh, you're here for the film? Just go ahead on up the stairs to the 6th floor!" This is where we were tonight, but this is also one of the fliers for the "rooftop films" summer series.
The walls of the rooftop were beautiful! The graffiti was totally controlled and absolutely gorgeous! It was nice up there too with the breeze and the night sky overhead!

It's so fun to do the touristy things that Manhattan has to offer, but when I get home I also want to know that I did everything in my power to truly experience New York from other angles.

I guess this really is how they spell and pronounce Kebab! Who knew?

These carts are all over the place and they are all spelled the same. Now imagine a New Zealander saying "kebab" keh-baaab! :) That's for you Liz!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I've already told you, but I'm totally jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say, Jemaine (Jeeh-may-n) would have to keh-baab! That knish though, it looks like a really intimidating Hot Pocket...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ewww! I didn't even see the knish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous15.6.08

    hahaha! thanks ashley!

    ReplyDelete