Thursday, July 10, 2008

I think I need a nap. Who do I talk to about that?

Please pray for my friend and her family. That's all I'm going to say about that.












Today I got an awesome package from my cousin Sophie! She was sent on a mission while the fam was at the beach to retrieve a nose ring for me because I always get them at the same place at the beach. (mine fell out while we were moving a couple months ago and I've just had fishing line in as a retainer since then. TMI?)
Anyway. There was a slip in our tiny mail box that said "come to the post office to pick up your package." (at one point this summer Ashley also had to make a USPS run to get a box... She walked there from our house which was about 40 blocks plus or minus there and back. I took the train. And the train dropped me off two blocks from the post office and then one block from our house. I win.)
Anyway again. I went into the post office and after the worker slid the box into a bullet proof bin, closed her half, flipped a switch to unlock my half, I was able to open the bullet proof bin to get my box. I took the box over to the counter and ripped it open! I saw a sealed express mailer and felt inside what felt a lot like loose sand, so I didn't open it. I also saw a post card and a white letter sized envelope. I stuck the mailer and the post card into my purse and peeked in the unsealed envelope. Nothing. I thought that maybe it represented the empty void that I left on 'beach week' this year (which I later found not to be the case). Either that, or those tiny little silver rods had slipped their way out of the envelope and somehow out of the box. I feared the latter. I shook the box three times and nothing fell out. I carried it outside. Did my best to scrape off my address, then crumpled the box and tossed it into a rubbish bin outside of a park across the street from the subway station.
When I got home I texted her to tell her thank you so much for the sand! And when I asked about the empty envelope, she confirmed my suspicion that it had once held jewelry but the jewelry was encased in a tiny zip lock bag. (In my head I'm playing through the scenario of how an unaided zip-locked bag could squeeze itself through a microscopic hole in the bottom of a cardboard mailer. It couldn't. No way. I must have missed it somehow.)
So Lex and I needed to take a walk anyway, so we immediately headed back toward the subway. Back to the garbage can at the park. Back to the discarded mailer.
My worst fear (not really, actually not really by a long shot) was getting there and finding an empty trash can.
We got there and for the second that I was digging through a public waste bin, I felt a little homeless. But I pulled out the box. Uncrumpled the box. And produced the nose rings. Good thing I checked!

Bryan put up new photos from London! Check them out! When you go to his blog click on his flicker account on the right side of the page. Look for the photo album labeled London.

3 comments:

  1. hey I JUST now saw your comments on my blog! It was something i recently started to write down thoughts, from my phone, since i have no internet at home. And i never thought about the fact that people might read it! I hope i dont sound too depressing!! haha

    but yes, I really want to come to NY! I'm planning a trip there with some friends actually, in september, about 4 or 5 girls, You'll have to tell us what the "must-do's" are! We've started a list of things, and we're definitely going to go see the little mermaid on broadway. Also do you have any suggestion on where to stay? We're hoping to all just pile in one hotel room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah we are neighbors! luckily they are painting my house, so it won't be such an eyesore by the time you get back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous13.7.08

    Please don't go digging through any more NYC garbage cans! I know the nose ring was important, but - listen to your mother - you don't know what's been in there!

    ReplyDelete