Sunday, August 3, 2008

August? Already?

It's been a relatively long/short summer... The actual summer went by quite fast but, being away from home has really be an unfortunately long two and a half months. I'll be home two weeks from today!!! Please don't judge me if the activity on the blog slows down exponentially. You know those Southerners take life at a little different pace than the people do here. Hopefully I'll just have more funny stories and points of view than ever when I get back!

I sent the fam on their way home today. We had a very busy, very fulfilling, very fun week last week, but I am absolutely pooped! I saw about as many sights as I have in the last month in one week on top of working! It was so fun, though! I'm really glad you guys came!
Before they left town, we had to pack in a few more sights. We went to FAO Schwartz and had a really fun time with the Big Piano from the movie "BIG"
Mom and Frank went to mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral and we went to Pop Burger for a final lunch. It was so good! I love the fries!
(The guy to the right in this photo is actually Scott (from some of my earlier pics) who is from MS State and working here in fashion... I didn't even recognize him at first!)
We went to see Spamalot on Broadway last night! It was hysterical! I really loved it and laughed the entire time. I guess you probably have to like that Monty Python humor, but I do, so no problem there! This was the only picture I could take before the show started:
We also ate at a really tasty Mexican restaurant the other night. It was super loud in there, but the Margaritas were awesome and Aimee ate something black... which is absolutely unheard of, see?
We went to the Metropolitan Museum of Art yesterday. They had so many interesting exhibits. I really enjoyed the one about Supherheroes and the one on Papua New Guinea.
The Super Heroes exhibit had costumes worn by Christian Bale (Batman "The Dark Knight"), Michelle Pfeiffer (Catwoman "Batman Returns"), Robert Downey Jr. (Iron Man), Rebecca Romaine (Mystique "The X-Men"), Linda Carter (Wonder Woman), and Christopher Reeves (Clark Kent and Superman).
The Papua New Guinea exhibit was so neat to me because I actually spent an entire summer there a couple years ago. Several of the pieces on exhibit were even from the region I lived in! It absolutely reminded me of the animistic nature of the indigenous people. Living in that tribe was one of the most changing experiences I've ever had. Seeing how the missionaries there lived day to day brought a lot of my selfishness to the surface to be examined. The life the missionaries had is probably not the one they would have ever chosen, but seeing all of these artifacts, and ritualistic idols reminded me why they live every day there. And why they don't give up on teaching the truth.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous4.8.08

    We had a fun time, too! But we are tired x10 - think if you had done everything we did the first week you were there before you got conditioned! My legs finally recovered today, thank goodness. You were the best tour guide/hostess! See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete