Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Would you like to buy a box of girl scout kuhhh kheees?

When I was little, I had a 'retainer' thing in the top of my mouth that was supposed to create more room for my top teeth. It also made me have a strange speech impediment. Now, every time I say the word 'cookie,' I think of that retainer. I pronounced it 'kuhhh kheee.' (really airy and probably a little bit spitty) I did sell over 350 boxes of girl scout cookies that year, so I feel like people either felt sorry for me or the impediment wasn't nearly as pronounced as I thought.

So... All that to say, I made cookies today.

I know I have advocated this recipe before, but I've never posted the recipe on my blog. It is Laura's recipe all the way, but I have been making it for several months (always to take somewhere so I won't end up eating the whole plate by myself) and EVERY single time I've made them at least one person eating them has asked me for the recipe.

So here it is:
1 c. sugar
1 c. light brown sugar
1 c. vegetable shortening
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. soda
2 1/4 c. oatmeal
1 bag peanut butter/chocolate chips (you can buy the bag that's got them combined. Of course you can also choose to use peanut butter OR chocolate instead of both of them but the big hit is usually the combination bag.)

Combine sugars and shortening. Add eggs lightly beaten with vanilla. Add flour, salt, and soda. Mix well. Stir in oatmeal, and PB/chocolate chips.
Spoon on cookie sheet and bake at 325 degrees for 8-10 minutes
(eggs-schmeggs... you should eat some of the raw cookie dough before the last step).

Because my sweet honey doesn't like chocolate--- he gets a special batch with only peanut butter chips!Look at my oven! It has a light!! and a rack that is wide enough for a full size cookie sheet!!!Now- the hard part is always choosing which one to eat first! I guess it's not really that hard- I love chocolate and peanut butter and oats and sugar so I better go with the top one that has all of those things. Bryan will go for the other one though! Whew- thank goodness there won't be a fight!

3 comments:

  1. I made pretty much this exact same recipe this weekend!! I took some to friends who were having us over for dinner to help me not eat them all. My all-time favorite cookies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you posted this recipe! I loved when you made these for us. I will definitely be making these this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're practically the pioneer woman. looks delicious. you should enter those in a contest and win something cool like a kitchen aid mixer or a knife.

    ReplyDelete