Sunday, May 4, 2008

Local Farmer's Market

I love love love local farmer's markets. I think they are fantastic places to get great, fresh food, and also a great way to support local growers!

I'd been hearing about this new "Hitching Lot Farmer's Market in Columbus" for about a week on the radio and television and was very excited to check it out. I even went online to check out the website that had been advertised (please check this site out before you scroll down to see the pictures http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/M17573 also please note all the fresh veggies/ fresh flowers/ fresh fruit/ and baked goods offered)

Once I looked up this site, I was sold. I began making my mental list of things I'd have to have once I got there and all the recipes that my eager belly awaited. Oh, the flowers: I pictured huge sunflowers, roses, daffodils, mums... Oh the vegetables: I pictured tomatoes galore, potatoes, squash, onions, broccoli, beans, zucchini... Oh the fruit: I pictured apples, oranges, lemons, limes, maybe even mangos and pineapples for some reason even though I know those don't grow locally. Oh the baked goods: fresh warm bread, pies, cobblers, cookies... I built this place up in my mind for days. Crystal can attest to my excitement because I just left a comment on her blog about this very subject!














This is what was there when Liz and I pulled into the old Hitching Lot at 8:30am.One man selling potted house plants and jars of cookie dough mixes....


No hustle. No bustle. No fruit. No vegetables. No children strolling down the lane with bagguettes. No moms in summer dresses buying sunflowers and letting their littles ones taste sweet home made jam. I almost cried. We didn't even get out of the car.

7 comments:

  1. How sad and disappointing! I would have cried for sure b/c I love Farmer's Markets too! How could they????!!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be a curse against Farmer's Markets. Sital and I tried to go to the Farmer's Market downtown one week last summer and they were closed. We were so disappointed.

    I will say, Covington, La. (Mimi's hometown) has the best farmer's market on Wed. and Saturdays. It's out of Gilmore Girls, I swear. One baker has this blue cheese bread that is TO DIE FOR. I wish we had more stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are more than welcome to come to our Farmer's Market...you WILL NOT be let down!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tragedy! Talk about false advertising...

    I didn't get to go to opening day of mine either. Some stupid storm came into town and rained on my morning out. There's an open invitation to Birmingham...we have like three!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well my table keeps wondering where his buddy is that I promised. Soon they will meet in interior bliss!

    I will definitely bring the stuff to make the casserole. It can be another fun thing to make Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AAHH how horrible. sorry:(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous26.5.08

    There is some SERIOUS false advertising going on! Maybe they got the times wrong and it actually OPENS at 10:00. Probably not. Well, supposedly there's a couple of good ones in Jackson, so maybe you can get to those when you get here.

    ReplyDelete