Sunday, March 30, 2008

Our first House

Since we will be moving in about a month I thought now would be a good time to pay a little tribute to our first home before boxes start taking over. We've lived here for three years and had such good times with good friends during that time! I'm definately used to moving, (our next house will be the 30th place I've lived!!) but this flat has a special place in my heart for sure.
Living Room. Most of the pottery on the shelves is mine. I love learning how to make things! For those of you who have been reading my blog for a little while also recognize that chandelier that I fixed up after getting it from Good Will for $5!
This is the very tiny kitchen that I have loved cooking in! One of our first 'projects' as a married couple, was this floor. We laid all of these tiles ourselves. We got all of the tiles for free from an architecture firm who was throwing them out... and voila! (Please note the 'summer squash' finish of our 40 year old oven)

This room was dark wood paneling (and the whole first floor was covered in matted down, damp, orange shag carpet which we immediately pulled up. To replace that gross flooring, we stained the concrete which you can see here) which we painted. We actually painted almost every room in this house when we first moved in.

These stairs were also covered in disgusting carpet when we moved in. Like I said, we ripped all the carpet out of the entire place and did our own thing! Bryan had this wood left over from an architecture project so we stained each piece and he made a new, beautiful staircase that I have really loved seeing every day.This is our bed. I found those great lamps (which used to be ugly before I painted them and added some awesome square shades which I found at the Memphis Flea Market!) at Salvation Army. Sometime I'd like to make a headboard, but that will have to be after I finish recovering that sofa in the back room!

This is one of my favorite places to sit in our bedroom. That chair is super comfy!

This is 'my' art room! I will really miss not being able to spread everything out on the floor to paint, or turning a spotlight on a blank wall to have a photo shoot. It's been fun having 'my own' area in our house.This is Bryan's 'office.' You can definately tell the difference in our personalities... my room is very artsy and has a hint of organized chaos... in Bryan's room, everything is very ordered (by catagory, might I add), in neatly stacked piles which I love about him. He just can't work in dis-order and it has been fun learning how to live together and work together.

Other than the bathrooms and closets, that is it! I really have enjoyed being able to creatively express myself in our home. Our landlord specifically said we could do anything we basically wanted to this place and we definately took that to heart.

I love the quote from Kelly Wearstler that says, "when every corner speaks of possibility, I know that I am home." I must agree, Kelly.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for crawfish101. I definitely want to give it a whirl. I guess crawfish isn't big in Seattle (where I grew up), cause I have never tasted one!

    Loved the tour of your house, your Living Room is very fun, and I'm still coveting your chandelier.

    Also, if you like Flight of the Conchords (which I haven't seen yet, but am planning on), you might think "It's business Time" is funny, maybe you've seen it already, but it's on U-tube and pretty great. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your house is fabulous! and yes, the pet hair eraser has brought harmony to the wolfe household! go get one...run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yall place is fantastic. I'm sure you'll be sad to leave such a great environment. Off to bigger and better things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe you're moving soon, but I'm secretly excited to see the new creations you make/invent!!!! Miss you so much!!! How's the couch coming by the way?!

    ReplyDelete