Sunday, August 7, 2011

Our Anniversary


"Dearest Ashley, This weekend, I will whisk you away to celebrate 6 years of our wonderful marriage. We will awaken Saturday morning and leave the house around nine am. You should dress comfortably and cute for a car ride and some stops along the way. You will need the following for our trip: a bathing suit, some clothes for a nice evening out, overnight clothes, and clothes for some light hiking (and shoes).I love you!Bryan"

I got this sweet email from my husband Friday morning and this was all I knew!
When I got home, waiting for me was delicious champagne and a set of gold-rimmed rose-hued champagne coupes that I'd fallen in love with back in the spring! He's so sweet!
Also waiting for me was our very well planned and thoughtful itinerary for the whole weekend.
I also gave him his gift from me:

Saturday morning we headed north. We drove up to Portland, Maine, where we ate lunch at J's Oysters, walked around the city for a while, and got a delicious mixed berry pie from a locally owned and operated bakery!

A big bucket of Steamers (clams) (as recommended by Anthony Bourdain)

James river raw oysters. (We had a yummy lobster roll too... but it didn't last long enough for a photo!)

One of each please!!! We got a mini mixed berry pie and ate the whole thing in one sitting. We love pie.

We left Portland and headed north still to Lincolnville. We stayed at Point Lookout Resort and had a cabin all to ourselves. Strangely enough, we stayed in Cabin number 6 on our sixth anniversary on the sixth of August!

We did some hiking on this trail through the woods.

the trail was well marked... thank goodness... I'm no woodsman.

We hiked up to this lake. It was beautiful!
On the other side of the resort you could see out to the Atlantic Ocean.

We drove out to Rockland for dinner at Primo. (Also an Anthony Bourdain recommendation!) This place has a whole nose-to-tail philosophy about food. They grow many of their vegetables and herbs. They forage for dandelion greens, fiddleheads, mushrooms, etc. They raise pigs and chickens. They bake all their own bread. Cure most of their own meat... I'm ready to move to Rockland and do the same!
 We ate charcuterie, fried stuffed squash blossoms, steak, pork saltimbocca, and zeppole.
The chef and her husband converted this old mansion into the restaurant. It was lovely.

Today we drove up to Acadia stopping to visit Fort Knox and the observation tower.

Observation tower was in the top of the left tower.

We had hoped to spend the day in Acadia National Park hiking and driving but the weather didn't cooperate at all. It was pouring rain and cold most of the day and we ended up deciding not to go into Acadia because we didn't think we would be able to see any of the spectacular views. That just gives us a good reason to have to go back!!
We opted to eat lunch and head back to Boston. Lunch was wonderful!
We stopped into a lobster pound. Ordered lunch and picked our lobsters.
I'm pretty sure mine was staring into my soul.
And then he arrived a few minutes later steamed to perfection!
Most of the adults in the room were wearing bibs. We did not wear bibs.

Finally on the way home we pulled off the highway to get some fresh, locally picked Wild Maine Blueberries. These blueberries are tiny in comparison to the bigger high bush blueberries and are much more flavorful and less juicy! I can't wait to make some pies!

I had a really wonderful weekend! Thank you, Love, for all that you did to plan this trip and all that you do for me in our life together. I'm thankful every day for you and for how you love me! 

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! is all I can say. Except you are both so blessed to have each other. Keep on loving each other and always keep God at the center of your lives. I love you.

    ReplyDelete